Saturday 5 December 2015

I think I'll let you decide...

whale ribs illustration by holly holt

The idea for this strange little ballpoint drawing came to me when I read a line about a derelict building that "loomed like a giant ribcage" in this book. But I'm not going to discuss that here, let's move on. 
It came and went and then returned again the other day when I found a little sketch I must have made at the time. I wanted to capture the sort of feeling you get when you're amongst the sculptures of Antony Gormley. Beautiful but eerie at the same time. Did it just move? Has it got closer while my back was turned? Is it dead or alive? Organic or man-made? I've purposely left it a bit sketchy and scratchy looking, I didn't want to overwork it, I just needed to get it out of my mind and onto paper. I could have done a lot more with it really but I think the emptiness kind of works. For once I stopped at the right time...

1 comment:

ladybird said...

I agree with all of what you said Hol, the picture immediately gave my heart a gorgeous feeling and the small figure evoked in me my grandson looking in wonderment at an everyday miracle.